The first day back at the office, after being home for over two years, may be a daunting one. If you could work from home during the pandemic and are one of the fortunate ones, you may wonder how to re-integrate into a normal working routine when you’re not used to it. To ensure that you don’t overload yourself and that you don’t stress about what’s going on outside, plan out your tasks ahead of time and dedicate some time for distractions like going for a walk, listening to music, or reading a book on your break or lunch.
Surviving Your First Day
You may feel anxious about returning to a workplace that the pandemic has drastically changed. Here are some tips to help you prepare for that first day:
- Try to plan out your tasks ahead of time, so you don’t overload yourself on your first day.
- Prioritize taking breaks and lunch, in order to give yourself time to relax and recharge.
- Be prepared for a lot of questions from your coworkers-they may be just as anxious as you are about returning to work.
- Give yourself time to adjust to the new normal and don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it.
- Remember that it will take time to get back into the groove of things and be patient with yourself.
Pandemic Safety Tips
When returning to the office after a pandemic, it is important to be aware of the new safety precautions that have been put in place. Here are 10 tips to help you stay safe at work:
- Wear your mask, and avoid others who are not wearing theirs.
- Avoid close contact with others, and practice social distancing if possible.
- Wash your hands often and use sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Stay home if you are feeling sick.
- Make sure your computer and work area are clean and disinfected.
- Drink plenty of water and get enough sleep.
- Take breaks often and move around as much as possible.
- Bring your own lunch instead of going to restaurants and cafeterias.
- If you are feeling overwhelmed, ask for help from your co-workers, health and safety representative, union steward, or supervisor.
The first day back in the office after a pandemic can be daunting. You may feel anxious about returning to a workplace that has been drastically changed by the pandemic and you might not know what to expect when you get there. When returning to the office after a pandemic, it is also very important to be aware of the new safety precautions that have been put in place.
Most of all, take it easy on yourself!